From Market to Table
Take grilled squash from ordinary to extraordinary with pesto and fresh garlic. Prepare as a side dish to share at a summer picnic or a no-fuss, easy dinner for a hot summer’s night.
Ingredients: yields 4 servings
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 c. toasted pine nuts, (see Tip)
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 medium summer squash, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
Tip: To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned.
- To make pesto, combine basil, pine nuts, oil, parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of squash slices with cooking spray.
- Grill the squash until browned and tender.
- Top with pesto.
Calories 115; Fat 10g; Cholesterol 1mg; Carbohydrates 6g; Protein 3g; Fiber 2g; Sodium 167mg; Potassium 371mg