The Northeast Vikings N Club Association Athletic Hall of Fame inducted its inaugural Athletic Hall of Fame class on Oct. 7th in the Northeast High school gymnasium.
A Hall of Fame Committee, led by alumnus Jim Conaway, performed extensive research dating back to 1914 in order to select the first class of honorees. The 2017 induction criteria honored athletes who won state championships.
– Northeast resident John Glorioso, who was inducted for a long jump indoor state championship in 1959, also accepted on behalf of the Glorioso, family for the late Joe Glorioso whose relay team won a state championship in 1940.
– The undefeated Northeast football team of 1943, represented by the Rex Hull family and the Richard Delorier family
– The 1947 and 1948 undefeated football teams, represented by teammates Bill George and Max Dix
– Frank Ferrantelle, inducted for his 1973 shot put state record
– Reynold Middleton, for cross country individual state champion in 1979
– Jerome Gusman 1600 meter run state champion in 1986,
– Antwoine Steele, 300 meter hurdles state champion in 1992
– Naomi Williams 400 and 200 meter dash state champion in 2000 and 2001
– The association also recognized the late athletic coach E.A. Markey.
Current Northeast High School student-athletes presented the inductees or their representatives with framed Induction certificates and medals, while cheerleaders lead the crowd in applause.
“This has been a rewarding experience and the committee has its work cut out for them as they accept nominations for next year.” said Conaway.
An engraved plaque listing all the Inaugural Inductees was unveiled at a reception held the night before. The Hall of Fame Weekend for 2018 is scheduled to take place on Oct. 5 and 6.
For more pictures of the event, please visit HERE.