Kansas City, Nov. 2, 2017: Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School hosted a Huddle Up: Kansas City presentation of an East Coast Age of Comics Convention (ECAOCC) comic book extravaganza on Friday, Nov. 3 at the school, which is located at 4848 Woodland Ave. in Kansas City, Mo.
Second- and third-grade male students from both King Elementary and Troost Elementary School attended the event. The goal of this event was to excite young black students about reading via culturally relevant content in a fun environment where they can see themselves as heroes and be encouraged to make a positive change to the world around them.
- Panel discussion about the comic book industry
- Workshop designed to engage elementary students through a comic related activity
- Read for Fun workbooks distributed to students
- Comic books given to each attendee
- Exercises led by Captain America and Superman
Huddle Up brings school leaders, teachers, parents, community leaders and law enforcement together to help change the perception of young black males.
Visit the KCPS Flickr site to view more photos.