Kansas City, Aug. 7, 2017: Rain couldn’t stop the Kansas City Public Schools Education Foundation from hosting the region’s largest back-to-school celebration for thousands of family members during Summerfest 2017.
Summerfest was held from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 5 at the KCPS BOE park, which is located on the northeast corner of 29th Street and Troost Avenue in Kansas City, Mo. About 5,000 people attended the event.
Summerfest was an opportunity for school children of all ages to celebrate and get ready for the arrival of the new school year. In preparation for school, students had the opportunity to receive a free backpack, school supplies, athletic physicals and immunizations.
Summerfest was open to the entire community and included a variety of community resources and children’s activities. The event featured:
- Loads of free giveaways: backpacks, school supplies, uniform vouchers, immunizations, physicals, etc.
- An opportunity for families to meet their principals and teachers
- Enrollment for the 2017-2018 school year
- A play area for the young kids, including face-painting, arts and crafts, a book nook, bouncy houses and more
- Athletic and gaming zone with basketball skills, 3-on-3 tournament, kickball, wall climbing, video games and more
- Live entertainment
- Free food and water