Kansas City, May 10, 2019: Kansas City Public Schools hosted its 2019 Retirement, Service and Excellence in Education Awards Banquet on Thursday, May 9 at Union Station.
The theme of this year’s event was, “Reign of Unity.” KCPS has hosted the banquet for several years to honor the contributions of longtime, loyal employees, plus those who are retiring. This marks the first year that the Excellence in Education Awards were added to the event.
The Excellence in Education Awards were created to recognize educators and administrators that go above and beyond for Kansas City Public Schools students. The awards honor KCPS staff members who bring innovation, equity, excellent attendance, leadership and more into our buildings. This was made possible thanks to a $50,000 grant from SchoolSmartKC.
Award categories and winners are listed below:
- Elementary (CORE): Marva Collins Award ($10,000) – Sandra Dixon, George Melcher Elementary School
- Secondary (CORE): Jaime Escalante Award ($10,000) – Sarah Eblen, Southeast High School
- All Certified Staff Award ($10,000) – Phillip Howard, Success Academy at Knotts
- KCPS Star Principal ($10,000) – Karol Howard, Pitcher Elementary School
- KCPS Star Assistant Principal ($10,000) – Benjamin Richardson, East High School
- Supporting Cast Awards (one school-based classified staff member from each of the five zones to be recognized with $1,000 apiece)
- Edwina Hoskin-Graham, Border Star Montessori School
- Martha Martin, Carver Dual Language School
- Wanda Sexton, KCPS Maintenance Department
- Sherry Stark, Pitcher Elementary School
- Crystal Wilburn, Central Academy of Excellence
- Professional Learning Communities ($5,000 for building initiatives) – Trailwoods Elementary School
- Problem Solving Team ($5,000 for building initiatives) – J.A. Rogers Elementary School
Visit the KCPS Flickr site to view more photos from this event.