Five Kansas City Public Schools students were able to take enormous steps forward towards achieving their college and career goals thanks to a recent and generous gift by KC Scholars and the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
KC Scholars President and Chief Executive Officer Beth Tankersley-Bankhead and UMKC Chancellor Chandra Mauli Agrawal visited KCPS on Friday morning, Nov. 9 to award scholarships worth $50,000 apiece to the following high school seniors:
- Nakyiah Hopkins (Paseo Academy of Fine and Performing Arts and Manual Career and Technology Center)
- Diamond Sparks (Paseo Academy and Manual Career Tech)
- Aria Randolph (Lincoln College Preparatory Academy)
- Itialya Montgomery-Smith (Lincoln Prep)
- Amara Massey (Lincoln Prep)
The scholarships are good for $10,000 per year for five years at UMKC. On Nov. 8, Mr. Agrawal announced that UMKC is investing $20 million for additional scholarships to the university. Those new scholarship funds were matched for KC Scholars.