Kansas City, April 22, 2020: The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City honored the members of its 2019-2020 Student Board of Directors during a virtual celebration Wednesday, April 15.
Every fall, bank leaders select a group of about two dozen seniors from Kansas City Public Schools and Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools to serve on the Student Board of Directors. This year’s KCPS cohort included 10 students from East High School and two from Lincoln College Preparatory Academy. During one academic year, the students meet at least once a month for mentorship and hands-on lessons about business, finance and public service.
The bank normally hosts a pinning ceremony in May to mark the completion of the program by the students. The COVID-19 pandemic prompted the move to a virtual event on Zoom, according to Trudie Hall, who runs the program.
The event included a lesson about leadership, speeches by students, and remarks by bank President Esther George. It was also an opportunity for the students to talk about what they had learned and their plans for the future.
The following KCPS students served on the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City 2019-2020 Student Board of Directors:
- Abdullahi Abdullahi, East High School
- Hadil Alkhatib, East High School
- Mohamad Alkhatib, East High School
- Cyrille Deoutar, East High School
- Jaylin Hart, East High School
- Clarant Sumaili, East High School
- Jennifer Valles, East High School
- Shawnee Warren, East High School
- Michyla Westbrook, East High School
- Essence Williams, East High School
- Fardosa Hasson, Lincoln College Preparatory Academy
- De’Na Newborn, Lincoln College Preparatory Academy